There have been a variety of publications that have been printed and/or distributed in Huddersfield over the last 200 years and some of the more important ones are listed below;
Please note that the publishing dates of these journals are approximate and can be verified by the Britsh Library.
The Huddersfield Boro' Advertiser which became the Boro' Advertiser.
The Huddersfield District Chronicle which became the Huddersfield District Chronicle and West Riding Weekly News in 1960, then became the Huddersfield District Chronicle again in 1975, then became the District Chronicle in 1984 and finally was renamed the Huddersfield District Chronicle from 1985 onwards.
The Halifax and Huddersfield Express and Weekly Advertiser was published between February 1831 to December 1836. It continued to be published as the Halifax Express; and Huddersfield, Bradford and Wakefield Journal from January 1837 before it was discontinued in February 1841.
The Halifax Guardian and Huddersfield and Bradford Advertiser published between 1832 and 1847 before becoming the Halifax Guardian and, finally, being incorporated with the Halifax Evening Courier.
The Huddersfield "Rugby News" (the official programme and guide of the Huddersfield C. & A.C. and Huddersfield and District Leagues was published sometime around 1909 and 1910 and was then discontinued after a relatively short space of time.
The Huddersfield Chronicle made its appearance from September 1984 to April 1985 before being discontinued.
The Huddersfield Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser was published between April 1850 to June 1916.
The Huddersfield Citizen was a publication by the Huddersfield Labour Party and ran from 1935 to 1964.
The Huddersfield Co-Operative Citizen, published by Huddersfield and District Co-Operative Society, only managed one issue in September 1952.
The Huddersfield Ha'porth ran from March 1891 to December 1892 and then became the Huddersfield Ha'porth and Comet from January 1893 to February 1893 and finally became The Huddersfield Comet from March 1893 to March 1894 before being discontinued.
The Huddersfield Daily Chronicle was published from January 1871 to December 1915.
The Huddersfield District Advertiser was published from January 1913 to April 1917 before being discontinued.
The Huddersfield Echo was published from October 1886 to December 1887 before being discontinued.
The Huddersfield and Holmfirth Examiner was published
from September 1851 to December 1860 before becoming the Huddersfield
Examiner and West Riding Reporter from December 1860 to
October 1953. Another name change saw it become the Huddersfield
Weekly Examiner and West Riding Reporter between November
1953 and January 1976 before becoming the Weekly Examiner
between January 1976 and December 1982.
The Huddersfield Daily Chronicle was published between January 1871 and December 1915.
The Huddersfield Observer was published from November 1867 to April 1871 before becoming The Huddersfield Weekly News and South West Yorkshire Record from May 1871 to June 1904. It was then discontinued.
The Huddersfield Times and Patriotic Star was published between July 1869 and November 1877.
The Yorkshire Factory Times ran from July 1889 to September 1910 and then changed its name to The Labour Pioneer from November 1919 to June 1922. A further name change saw it published as The Yorkshire Factory Times and Workers Weekly Record from July 1922 to April 1926.
The Messenger was the journal of the Great Northern St. Congregational Chapel and ran from May 1987 to December 1899.
North Ward Municipal & Guardians Gazette ran from November 1904 to April 1905.
The Northern Pioneer ran from October 1881 to July 1883 before being discontinued.
The Spear was a publication designed a a souvenir of the Shakespeare Festivals held at the Theatre Royal between June and July 1923.
The Voice of the West Riding ran from June 1833 to June 1834.
The Wakefield and Halifax Journal and Yorkshire and Lancashire Advertiser was published in Wakefield but distributed in Huddersfield. It ran from July 1819 to January 1831.